Information about my work as a Labour Councillor for East Finchley in the London Borough of Barnet

Monday 19 November 2012

Have your say on the Archer Academy

The Archer Academy are doing their section 10 consultation, a link can be found here.

I hope this can be the school people in East Finchley want, and can help solve the places for girls problem we have. The team behind it have worked very hard, and it's interesting the parallel with the Walksafe N2 campaign. Both driven by excellent leadership, real commitment, support from the community, an understanding of reality, a desire to compromise and attention to detail.

I found out how important the issue was during my by-election, when school places came up again and again on the doorstep. I also know how important it is to send your children to the right school for them, because I decidedly did not go to the right school for me, and my school days were miserable and soul destroying because of it.

I have serious problems with the free schools policy, and the way they are implemented. I know that many of these concerns are shared by others, but I feel very strongly that the Archer Academy people have gone out of their way to mitigate against those concerns as best as they have been able. I also believe that the school we will get at the end of it will be one that people with concerns can be very proud of, and supportive of. I think the school has very strong principles underpinning it, and will be as inclusive as possible.

I wish the school every success in the future.