Information about my work as a Labour Councillor for East Finchley in the London Borough of Barnet

Sunday 30 June 2013

Long Lane Pastures

I very much enjoyed my visit this afternoon to Long Lane Pastures to see the unveiling, by local MP Mike Freer, of a panoramic view of the fields, set up on "Octavia Hill", the side along the embankment with the North Circular. It is am impressive work, and does full grace to the beauty of the pastures.

Among Councillors, I was joined by Jim Tierney and Alison Moore from Labour, and Brian Coleman as an independent. We were very well looked after by the folks there, who as well as being good gardeners are also seemingly good cooks (and hosts!). It is a tragedy the cupcakes are not on general sale. It was also a first visit for Mrs Angry, and she was so enchanted that I am sure it is unlikely to be the last.

I don't mind admitting I am pleased with myself for turning up, having bad hayfever is tough, but especially on a hot day in a field with hay and flowers!

It was mentioned tome that each year at the pastures takes a different identity, and that is very true. The last time I was there was for the Mitzvah day last year, where I did some volunteering to help clear the hay, along with Alison, Jim and Anne Hutton. They look completely different this year, with brand new plants and flowers.

Living in a flat I have never been green fingered, especially with my allergies, but I have a lot of time for those who put hard work and effort into keeping these gems of the borough. I have been thinking about asking Barnet Homes if they can put a little garden or vegetable patch on Prospect Ring to give people something to do, and I have had some ideas from here.

 Sincere thanks to them for their hard work and for hosing this reception.