Information about my work as a Labour Councillor for East Finchley in the London Borough of Barnet

Sunday 28 April 2013

Bishops of London and East Finchley

It is well known that much of Finchley, and East in particular, has historically been part of the Bishop of London's estate. Many know Bishop's Avenue in the Garden Suburb, but there are roads named after some Bishops, such as Creighton Avenue and Ingram Road. I think it is likely Talbot Road could be as well. I know there is an Aylmer Road somewhere in Barnet too.

We do have a sense of humour in naming roads in Barnet. High Barnet Ward commemorates the Battle of that name with roads such as Tudor Road, Woodville Road, Warwick Road, and perhaps most obviously, King Edward Road.

That "humour" seems to extend to Muswell Hill, where there are a set of roads, such as Hopkins Close, Cromwell Road, Ireton Close, Fairfax Way, Pembroke Road, Sydney Road and Weatherill Road (seeming named for Parliamentarians in the Civil War) which surround a Crown Road.I'm not sure of the significance of that area of Muswell Hill, but I will see if I can find out.