Information about my work as a Labour Councillor for East Finchley in the London Borough of Barnet

Monday 18 March 2013

Question Time at Middlesex Uni

Last Thursday I was asked to sit on a panel for a Question Time session arranged by the local Police. I was joined by representatives from Victims support groups, neighbourhood watch, the Borough Commander, Mr Usher, a Criminologist from Middx Uni and the President of the Uni students union.

They were all very impressive people and the discussion was good. It wasn't a political debate, but a practical one, with issues such as gang culture, sexual harrassment, neighbourhood policing, intervention and whether police should be allowed to strike.

I was very impressed by the president of the student union, who was very progressive, but also very responsible, and didn't play for the applause. We were stewarded by the police cadets, who, by way of tanks I took on a tour of the Town Hall, which I hoped they enjoyed. With us also was a small group from Hendon School who have written to Councillors to ask them to endorce their safe havens paln, which aims to make all public buildings and some shops safe havens, where young people who feel threatened can go and get directions or support. I support them and will be raising the issue.