Information about my work as a Labour Councillor for East Finchley in the London Borough of Barnet

Sunday 16 September 2012

Council Meeting

Sorry for the lack of posts this week, I have been without a computer.

I thought I would belatedly report back on the council meeting on Tuesday. I had some questions, which I will report back on later, when I am able to get a copy of them. They were myonly contribution to the meeting, as I did not speak to a motion.

The motions were interesting, The Tories business item was a silly bleat about how their OWN government aren't supporting them financially, so Barnet should make representations to the DCLG. As if the council needs a mandate to lobby for more money? And why aren't the three Tory MPs lobbying on behalf of their constituents? Maybe it's because Mr Offord isn't very well regarded, Mr Freer isn't well liked by Eric Pickles, and Ms Villiers is so horrified by the Barnet Tories, she has gone to Northern Ireland to get away from the arguing.

We had an item on One Barnet, which was very good, and we got a lot of support from the public gallery. Alison gave two brilliant speeches. But unfortunately, Cllr Coleman had an altercation with visitors to the public gallery, as has been well reported. It wasn't nice, and what was most telling was that the other Tory councillors were laughing with him and applauding him. Well, they will pay for that in 2014.

There were other administrative items as well. Not the most exciting council, and badly overshadowed by Cllr Coleman's altercation, but I think we got our points across, and perhaps some of the Tory councillors will be a little more concerned about One Barnet.