Information about my work as a Labour Councillor for East Finchley in the London Borough of Barnet

Sunday 22 July 2012

Family day at the Grange

Alison and I were at the Family Fun Day on the Grange Estate in our ward. Barnet Homes organised an excellent event, which went down extremely well with residents. We've had real trouble in the past engaging with people on the estate, and I hope this is the start of a process which lets all the residents know that they are valued, and we take their concerns seriously. I know people occasionally have issues and bad experiences with Barnet Homes, but I've been very impressed by their work in my dealings with them. Also I think the staff work very hard and are committed people. The caretakers are also doing a good job, which is always a good sign on an estate.

The biggest concern people raised again and again was the Old Barn. It's why I was so angry at Robert Rams' answer at the council meeting last week. This is a big issue, and I would like to know that everyone from the cabinet member down is working on this. It's annoying for me that I can't tell concerned residents much good news. It's even worse for the residents, because they have to live with the consequences.

But all in all it was a good event, with lots of people, particularly children. Great weather helps as well!