Information about my work as a Labour Councillor for East Finchley in the London Borough of Barnet

Monday 26 November 2012

BAWA

Last Friday I visited the Barnet Asian Women's Association, BAWA at thier base in Friary House, Friern Barnet. Theyw ere having a late Diwali celebration, and as always with BAWA, they did it in some style. Good food, good company and a warm celebration is the standard for them, and this time they topped my previous visits.

Unfortunately the issue with the gate is still occuring, and I am continuing to press the Council. The lack of access is leaving vulnerable elderly people at home, alone and depressed. They need dial-a-ride to drop them off to the front door.

I stayed at the end to have a chat with some of the members. It's really very sad in a way to talk to these remarkable women and hear the difficulties many are going through. Many do not speak English well, and some are widowed, so self-reliant for the first time in thier lives. I picked up some casework, but more importantly got a little taster of the issues a very under-represented minority are suffering from.

But I am always impressed by what happy people they are despite their problems, and how much they contribute. I hope we can get a resolution to the gate and make this a real success.