Information about my work as a Labour Councillor for East Finchley in the London Borough of Barnet

Wednesday 3 October 2012

Ed right about "One Nation Labour"

I have been away for the last few days, so I did not get to see Ed Miliband's speech to the Labour Party conference in Manchester live, but I read the reports. I like the idea of appealing as a one nation party.

I have always thought that we should be an inclusive party, and welcome people from different backgrounds, from different demographics and different parts of the country. I can't stand the argument that anyone or anywhere should be written off. You might have thought that it would be pointless to work hard in the seat of the Prime Minister, but then why did we won Finchley, and have 9 councillors there now? I note that Labour have won a few councillors in Witney as well...

I have always thought that The Labour Party was at it's best when we were the biggest of tents. That means big debates no doubt, and dissappointment, but it means we reflect the country we seek to represent. Nothing makes me more sure of this than watching the US election, where one party is actively insulting those that don't agree with them.

Ed Miliband has given is a lot to think about, and I will be pleased to take this to the doorsteps of East Finchley!