Information about my work as a Labour Councillor for East Finchley in the London Borough of Barnet

Monday 15 October 2012

Treat the elderly with dignity

I read this article on the Better Barnet website, and it does rather hit home.

I was a carer, and as a Councillor I have seen cases of elderly residents being unable to care for themselves. It worries me the thoguht of elderly residents having to sit at home all day in nightclothes bacause they can't afford the care packages they need.

Additionally, the closure of day cantres will affect the most vulnerable and isolated.

In my ward, the Ann Owens Centre is very popular, and many residents have told me how highly they think about it. Ironic, as it is just a few yards away from another vital and highly regarded service facing huge cuts from Barnet Council, the Newstead Children's centre. It seems like both ends of the age spectrum are suffering.